Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Minor Rant: Global Feminisms at the Brooklyn Museum

On Saturday I went to see the Global Feminisms show at the Brooklyn Museum with my friends Ilona, Robin, Martha, Barbara and Kathy. This group has been shushed repeatedly at the Met by guards and other art lovers on another art visiting tour- I guess we are too chatty, but that's another story.

This show, the first in the Elizabeth A. Sackler Center for Feminist Art, irritated me. While there are many thoughtful, beautiful and funny pieces in the show, it is dominated by naked women photos, many of the artists themselves. I have nothing against photos of breasts or bodies of women being tortured, but I wonder why is it that when women control the "gaze", it is always turned back on themselves? It is not the work I saw that bothered me, which is an important part of what is going on now, it was its relative dominance in the exhibition- what about the guys? There was an notable absence of depictions of men, and relationships between men and women (except for a video by Tracey Moffat with "romantic" clips from many motion pictures edited together).

Anyway, this is a brief rant- off to my final graphic design class!

No comments: