Thursday, November 02, 2006

Ultimate Family Death March Part 3

After getting my medal and space blanket, I wandered through the food line and picked up a yogurt drink, bagel and, best of all, mini-Crunch bars. I called my father and when I told him the last 10 miles were some of the least pleasant of my life, the woman in front of me burst out laughing. Then I went to the family reunion area, where I thought the plan was to meet until the "C" flag. But there was no C flag--there was an A/B and down the street an H/I/J. Hmmm. I stood around for awhile (after an unsuccessful attempt at sitting down) and ate a bagel, then decided to head down to the UPS trucks to pick up my post-race clothing. There was a festival of sorts, although all of the food for sale seemed like things designed to make post-race runners feel ill--brisket and eggbeater omelets for instance.

I was putting on my hideous yellow race shirt--which was quite warm, at least--when Kym called with the news she and Molly were done. While on the phone, I looked up and saw Billy, Eric, and Marc standing just about 10 feet away from me. Yea! Billy had just helped a stabilize a guy who had collapsed by the UPS trucks, but luckily we were all in one piece. After all six of us got together, we tackled the Metro--the ride itself wasn't too bad, but the huge crowd in the station meant it took us about 15 minutes just to get through the gates.

Marc, Eric, and I were supposed to leave that night, but for a variety of reasons we all ended up spending the night, which was probably for the best. We lay around Kym and Molly's room, consuming Fritos and chips, and later pizza and beer.






There was a little tension over what to watch on television, which broke down along gender lines. (What is it about the marathon that brings out this kind of disagreement--last year the infamous Veronica Mars debate broke out after the race.) The compromise was the Broncos game, followed by Coming to America (which we all agreed on), followed by Desperate Housewives (which most of us ending being asleep for.)

I fell asleep on top of the bed. Eventually I sort of woke up and Kym suggested politely that I might be more comfortable under the covers. The last thing I heard before I fell back to sleep was Kym telling Molly, "Take your medal off. You might strangle yourself."

The next morning Kym, Molly and I passed the morning watching Martha Stewart and Anders' lasted YouTube entries.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN535PBA5G
Anders on his Tractor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OplgSMBKqLs Anders Raking 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apT7q1x2_1A Anders Raking 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9deegAPFX4I Anders making browning

I was walking about as well as Anders at this point. (By the way these videos are great, but the one titled Anders Raking 1 takes on a kind of creepy Blair Witch Project vibe at the end).

Molly, Kym, Eric and I eventually headed off to the I-Hop. (Marc and Billy had already left.) Eric and I were really hobbling, though Kym and Molly seemed to feel fine. (Let me note here that after the race they both looked great--as if they had just gone for a long walk.) We ate heartily to replace those 2600 calories we had burned the day before.








It was time to go home. Eric and I look the train, where we managed to snag one of the 4 seaters, meaning we could stretch out our legs. There were a lot of runners on the train, identified by their shirts, their medals, or their inability to walk. (Note--the hideous shirt actually looked good on Eric.)


Some of the crew are already planning their next marathon. I can't promise I am committed to that. As Frank Shorter said, "You’re not ready to run another marathon until you’ve forgotten the last one."

No comments: