Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Joan Didion on Martha Stewart

Joan Didion has long been one of my favorite writers, and, as I have mentioned before, I love Martha Stewart, even if I think she is a little crazy. So, I was thrilled when I learned that Martha was going to have Didion (one seems to call for a first name and one seems call for a last name reference) on the show yesterday. I was envisioning a surreal scene, in which Martha scolded her guest for not chopping the onions finely enough, but it was actually a quite respectful conversation about Didion's recent work, including the Year of Magical Thinking. I've never seen anything quite like it on Martha--I got the feeling that she just really admired the writer and wanted to have on her the show. I had hoped to find the interview on YouTube, but actually nothing comes up under Joan Didion. Maybe that shouldn't surprise me, but it did.

No comments: