Saturday, March 10, 2007

Three Conferences in one Month

I haven't been posting too much lately, it has been a busy time. I attended 3 conferences in one month (with a workshop I organized on the other weekend)- is this a record? Perhaps only for me.

The first conference was the College Art Association- it was in New York, in a huge midtown hotel. Interestingly, I have no pictures of this event (is it a visual meduium? not at the conference level.) I managed to attend many, many panels - my strategy was to go to each meeting for approximately 10 to 15 minutes. Depth is not my thing, apparently, at least when it comes to art discussion.

Next was the fabulous NY ComicCon- second annual in New York. Kate has already posted about this. Not as much fun for me as San Diego ComicCon- but how can you compare the Javits Center in February with San Diego in July (when I am officially on holiday?) It was great fun to cruise the floor with Kate and, as in San Diego, with Marianne and Matt . I also attended the Diva art fair (Digital and Video Art) at Embassy Suites in lower Manhattan with Kathy that weekend- this was also really fun- mostly videos displayed in hotel rooms.

This weekend, I am in Covington Kentucky at SIGSCE. My life has taken an unexpected turn, when the one event of these three in which I am a participant is a conference on Computer Science Education. Chris Stein and I were invited to present our work on our National Science Foundation grant. Chris was not able to attend since his wife just gave birth to their first child.


Aging Superheroes




Anakin Skywalker


View of Cincinatti from my hotel room in Covington Kentucky



Our powerpoint presentation and poster at SIGSCE.


Me and Steve Cooper, guru in Alice programming curriculum, a generous, energetic and smart man. We adapted his curricular materials as part of our grant. Steve was very helpful in giving us feedback, and he also ran a workshop for us last January.

No comments: