Friday, October 13, 2006

My Wednesday

Here is how my Wednesday went:

1) I went to teach my Women's Studies class, for which the students had done reading on sexual harassment. It went well, but none of them really understood the article written by Anita Hill, because none of them knew who Anita Hill is. I thought she had entered the realm of general cultural knowledge, but I need to remember that for people born in 1988, 1991 is ancient history.

2) I went up to museum where I am doing some grant writing work. It is located on 61st and 1st. Around 2:45, one women's husband called and said a plane had flown into a building on 72nd and York, just 11 blocks away. Everyone freaked out a little, as people in New York do when planes fly into buildings. We all watched NY1, the local news station, until we were assured it wasn't a terrorist attack. For the rest of the afternoon, we heard sirens screaming up the avenues.

3) By 5, when it was time to go home, it was pouring out, and I didn't have an umbrella. So I rigged up a raincoat and hat out of a few garbage bags. This outfit was surprisingly effective and comfortable, so much so that I kept forgetting I was walking down the street in trash bags. I couldn't figure out why people kept giving me such strange looks. When I got home and looked in the mirror, I realized I looked like some space-age pilgrim.



4) By the time I got home, the news that plane was owned by Yankee pitcher Cory Lidle had broken. I'm not sure why that made the story even more upsetting--it shouldn't matter that it was a famous person who died--but it did.

No comments: