Sunday, April 22, 2007

Happy Earth Day

In honor of Earth Day, I finally watched An Inconvenient Truth, which had been on my DVR for months. It was a little hard to tell from the map of Manhattan in the movie, but it looked like, if nothing changes, my apartment may evenutally be under water, or least by water front property. So all of you who have enjoyed staying with me--switch to the energy conserving lightbulbs! I actually am doing that as my bulbs burn out, and I have started using vinegar and microfiber cloths to clean (instead of chemical projects) as well as unplugging my cell phone charger and other small appliances. (As all of those things are painless and actually save me money, I can't really say I have sacrificed anything for the environment.) In other environmental news, I'm glad to see Bloomberg is finally pushing fees for cars and trucks driving into congested parts of Manhattan. There are some complaints that this will punish the poor and middle-class--but my guess is that, by and large, the poor and middle-class are taking the trains, buses and subways. There is very rarely any real reason to drive into Manhattan--and so if you want to, you should have to pay for the privledge.

No comments: