Sunday, April 22, 2007

Marie Antoinette

I know a lot of people hated Sophia Coppola's Marie Antoinette, and I guess I can understand why. It is ridiculous. But I really liked it the first time I saw it. The amazing costumes and gorgeous shots of Versailles made it beautiful to watch. And, despite its frivolity, I thought it portrayed the way women can become trapped by social expectations well. I love the movie even more after watching it with the History Club at BCC. The students really got into it, laughing and, a few times, talking back to the screen. Afterwards, a lot of them asked me questions about Antoinette's life. Anything that gets them to think history isn't completely borning is ok in my book. I can't wait to get the soundtrack.

1 comment:

jody said...

I haven't seen it, I thought it looked like fun.