Monday, October 15, 2007

Children of Men

I rarely get to the movies, Children of Men was one I really wanted to see but missed last year. I have watched in twice in the last couple of days, and I'm sure I will watch it again. This movie, directed by Alfonso Cuaron, is currently on Cinemax on Demand, and playing all the time on one of the many Cinemax channels you get if you subscribe to the service on digital cable.

Set 20 years from now in a grim future- yes it sounds like so many other science fiction epics- but it is not. There is (possibly too much) Christian imagery- and the cynical white guy with a heart of gold does protect the fertile african woman- but despite any cliches I loved it.

What is it with Mexican directors these days- they are making some of the best Hollywood movies. This guy also made Y Tu Mama Tambien and considers this a companion piece. Not obvious to me at first- but there are both road movies with great performances by all.

1 comment:

Kate C. said...

This was one of my favorite movies last year. Beyond everything else, how can you wrong with a movie which Clive Owen bonds with a cat.