Saturday, June 09, 2007

2 Good Movies

The busy semester kept me from the movies, but now that it's summer I've seen two good films in a week. The first is Knocked Up, which, as most of you probably know, is Judd Apatow's eagerly awaited follow up to The 40 Year Old Virgin. Like its predecesor, this movie is an amazing combination of raunchy and sweet and had me laughing out loud. The second movie is Once. Set it Dublin, it is the story of a male vacuum repair cleaner/singer song-writer and a female pianist/housecleaner/Czech immigrant. Not a huge amount happens--the two collaborate on beautiful songs, make a demo, become friends--but it is really sweet and moving. Neilson and I were calling it Before Sunrise with music, but it is more complex and a little sadder than that. It was a hit at Sundance, so it may be coming to a theater near you. (I can't wait to see Paprika.)

No comments: