Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Anders Sitting on Mary's Memorial Bench



I love reading this blog. In keeping with the Culkin Women theme, I wanted to share these pictures of Anders sitting on Mary's Memorial Bench in North Boulder Park, taken in May 2007. Andy and Frank often go on long bike rides in Boulder, and sometimes Sarah goes jogging with Anders and then stops at North Boulder Park to enjoy the mountain view.

I love the idea of Anders on this bench looking at the mountains and toward where Mary's house used to be. Mary is on my mind a lot lately, as we watch the Anders grow up and acquire so much new language. (How's that for Child development lingo?)

Seriously, I learned a lot from Mary and her sense of how it all works is coming back to me again in these new grandmother days. Anders is a wonderful child, and Mary would have loved him very much. In fact, he probably would be soon be due for an overnight at Mary's, followed by a next-morning trip to the park, if she were still here. Maybe he and Aidan could have gone together, or Aidan might have to go first to blaze the trail, but in any case, they would both have loved it. As that guy said at her Memorial Service, "Hail, Mary!".


2 comments:

Kate C. said...

Jane and I had a nice talk about Mary in Denmark. She would have loved the camp and been so proud of Jane. And, yes, she would have adored Anders. (Who wouldn't! But Mary would have especially loved him). I also wish Mary had met Neilson--I think they would have really hit it off. I still haven't been to Mary's bench--maybe next time I'm in Colorado.

jody said...

Sarah sent me these pictures, and I was going to post them, but you beat me to it, Trish.

I have been thinking about Mary a lot lately too.