Saturday, January 28, 2006

Goodby Rooster

Today is the last day of the Year of the Rooster. Usually, I am excited about Chinese New Year, but, as I am a rooster, I'm a little sad to see this year turn over. Roosters are not the most auspicious animal in the zodiac, but I've come to appreciate my avian qualities. We are often described as smart, dedicated, and successful--as well as gaudy, eccentric, and stubborn. It was appropriate that the Gates flew in Central Park just as the rooster year came around, as those bright orange flags proved to be very roostery--unsubtle, slightly garish, but also interesting and, well, lucrative. (I guess it also makes sense that concerns about the bird flu spread this year.) This year also saw the birth of many nice new roosters--Anders, Aiden, Hayden, Ellie, and Riley. Some of you I haven't met yet, but maybe we can all celebrate in 11 years, when our year next rolls around. You're sure to be tenacious, unusual little people.

No comments: