Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Subway Entrepreneurship

You can buy a lot of things on the subway in New York, from batteries to umbrellas to toys that flash and twirl to bootleg DVDs of movies just barely in the theaters. And you also find yourself entertained by a wide variety of performers, from steel drum players to violists to kids who perform amazing acrobatic feats, flipping themselves up and down the cars, asking just for small change in return. But yesterday I encountered a new type of subway entrepreneurship. I was riding the A train home when a young guy got on and started hawking mixed CDs he had burned himself for 2 dollars. “The best of the old school” he promised, then set down a decidedly old school boom box and started playing the CD. The opening track was “I Want You Back,” by the Jackson 5. People were looking at each other, silently asking, “Is this guy for real” and “Does he really think anyone is going to buy a homemade CD from him.” But toes started to tap. He made his way up the car, promising “great music” and the “classics.” A few wallets came out and he fast forwarded the CD to Marvin Gaye’s “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough.” He made some more sales. Then Rick James “Mary Jane” filled the car and I caved. I gave him the money, thinking “I bet I’m going to get this home and it will be blank CD.” But it actually worked and is quite an enjoyable mix, filled with a bunch of songs I would never have purchased individually but am happy to have. I think it has the makings of a great gym CD, as well. The best thing is that, under the contents list, the entrepreneur has printed, “Thank You Train Supporters.”

The Contents:
I Want You Back--The Jackson 5
Shoe Shine Boy--Eddie Kendrick
Ain’t No Mountain High Enough--Marvin Gaye
I’ve Got Sunshine--Four Tops
Mary Jane--Rick James
Sugar Pie Honey Bunch--The Temptations
Where Are All My Friends--Willie Hutch
Your love Keeps Getting Me Higher--Jackie Wilson
Stir It Up--Patty LaBelle
Under the Boardwalk--Four Tops
Maybe Tomorrow--Jackson 5
Earth Angel--Buddy Holly
I’ll Keeping Holding On--Simply Red
Sing a Happy Song--The O’Jays
Everybody Plays the Fool--Manhattans
I’m Coming Out--Diana Ross
Shop Around--Smokey Robinson
New Attitude--Patty LaBelle
Oh Child--Marvin Gaye
Baby Work Out--Jackie Wilson
Yearning for Your Love--Gap Band

1 comment:

Kate C. said...

I'll burn you a copy. I think Stoney would enjoy it.