Thursday, February 23, 2006

Cropped

To the delight of to my hairdresser Rosie--and probably my mom--I have rejoined the world of cropped hair. Embarrassingly, this move was prompted in large part by America's Next Top Model. I was at the gym when an ANTM Season 2 marathon was on VH1. My hair was full of static from my overheated office and kept falling in face, as I had forgotten a barrette. The screen kept focusing in on Yonanna and her short hair, and it reminded me how easy and freeing that kind of crop is. So off I went to Rosie and her scissors.



So far the haircut has been a success. Rosie was thrilled to a disconcerting degree--apparently she had thought growing my hair out was an enormous mistake. A woman at the front desk of the salon, who had long, long hair, told me she wished she had the courage to cut off her locks. The guy in the deli where I buy my morning Diet Coke told me I looked ten years younger. (Apparently he was right, because I was IDed buying beer on my way home. Although I got IDed with longer hair as well.) It is a little strange how people talk about "brave" you are if you are a female and dare to cut your hair a little short. It is nice people like my haircut, but I wish in 2006 you had to do more to seem a brave woman than not look exactly like some magazine's version of femininity.

1 comment:

jody said...

Looks great! Can't wait to see it in person.