Monday, February 06, 2006

Olympic Fever

I LOVE the Olympics. I always have, luckily I share this love with my family who manages to become experts all rare and odd Olympic sports, at least for a two-week period. We all will talk about the athletes and the medal count obsessively. I personally become patriotic for a two-week period every two years, but then it quickly goes away after the closing ceremonies.

You can imagine the excitement that is building with the winter games so close. Adding to the excitement is the fact that best Olympic movie ever, The Cutting Edge, was on TV this weekend. The Cutting Edge stars Moria Kelly, now seen on One Tree Hill, and D.B. Sweeney, who is wonderful in Eight Men Out.

The fact that the movie was on TV is slightly irrelevant, since my grandmother bought me the movie about 10 years ago. She initially had a hard time finding it, the same thing happened when my former housemates tried to buy me Footloose for my birthday. They all claimed that it was because no one wanted to buy either movie but I firmly believe it is because the stores just can't keep them on the shelves

What could be better than an ice skating star being forced to skate with an injured hockey star because she is so mean no one else will, and then them falling in love but not being brave enough to tell each other, and then finally telling each other just as they are about to skate their long program a the Olympics?

This movie has given us great lines such as "Toe Pick" "You should have started with a go to girl" and my personal favorite, which I am sure we have all used at least once in our daily life:

"If that button meant the difference between a long satisfying life and a long agonizing death from hypothermia I still wouldn't give you the satisfaction. Now SKATE!"

1 comment:

Kate C. said...

Yes! The Olympics! I can not wait. I even love the personal interest stories, although I understand why many people disagree. Go Bode!