Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Audio Books

I discovered a serious taste for audiobooks several years ago when I was driving down to Texas from New York and needed something other than music and Weese's singing to keep me awake and sane. I have since discovered how wonderful they can be when I am out on long runs by myself and want something to keep my mind off the fact that I am spending hours running along and seemingly getting nowhere. Music keeps me motivated when I need to just keep going or to pick up speed, but nothing whiles away the time like a book if I am not particularly interested in how fast, or slow, I am going. They also pass the time during my morning data entry job. I don't think I could have lasted there without them. But audiobooks are quite the pricey little item and as I tend to listen to mysteries I wouldn't normally read unless I was in an airport or on the beach, I don't really want to pay much for the pleasure. I am a student after all. Libraries have come in very handy on this front and I thank them for it, but I have recently discovered a new source for pleasure, namely Libravox. This is a web-based volunteer organization that puts out audiocasts of books that are in the public domain. And it is all free. The books are read by volunteers and then they are put on the web for downloadable fun. I have already listened to Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, a personal favorite, and am enjoying Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maude Montgomery at the moment. These are truly fun and as they are not read by actors but by volunteers you really get that reminiscent feeling of being read to as a child. It is keeping me sane at work. I actually have a reason to not dread going in since my free time is taken up with school work, my data entry job is the only time I have to indulge. I still dread it, but not as much as I might.

You can find some fun of your own at http://librivox.org/

No comments: