Sunday, September 17, 2006

Bonnet & Mantle + Chair

I have been lax about posting lately, crazy busy (as is everyone else). Rather than show you the boring handouts I've been preparing to explain the box model in CSS (that's Cascading Style Sheets, in case it is your good fortune not to know), I thought I'd show a few (slightly blurry) pictures of some art projects I just finished.

"Bonnet and Mantle" is a piece I created for "Cultural Redress" a show at the Queens Library Gallery. Here are a few details of the piece. It's based on watercolor drawings of 19th century American clothing that were made during the WPA. I made a bonnet, with plenty of tulle, gussets, and broken glass, and a short cape (over a gauzy slip) that has 6 (decorated) motors spinning at various times.


detail: motor on cape


bonnet

Marianne Petit asked me to participate in a benefit for the Adaptive Design Association. This organization "works to ensure that children with disabilities get the customized equipment they need to participate fully in home, school, and community life". They emphasize working with cheap and readily available materials, particularly cardboard. Cardboard is the material of the gods, in my opinion. For their open house, there will be a silent auction of the cardboard chairs artists have decorated. Here's a picture of mine.

2 comments:

Kate C. said...

Harriet Hosmer would love the bonnet.

Kym said...

I love that chair. I always love your pieces Jody, but I really love that chair.