Monday, September 04, 2006

Birthday Cake


As you know, my birthday was last week. I spent it isolated in Spokane, but many calls from friends and family helped me get through it without feeling too lonely. It was also a nice excuse to get dressed up and pamper a bit and that is always fun. I opened up a bottle of Proseco and we had delicious Bellinis in honor of Jody. I do love that drink.

Matt also took me out for a sushi dinner and that helped too. We had actually planned on trying another restaurant, but since my birthday fell on a Monday, decent restaurants were harder to come by than usual, even for Spokane. The only down side to the sushi bar was the lack of a dessert menu, but we didn't let that stop us from searching for cake. We figured cake could be had almost anywhere else along with a tasty beverage. We were wrong. After stopping by a total of 8, yes 8 different restaurants of varying tacky v. trendy, we were unsuccesful in our search for cake. Fancy desserts of varying tastiness were to be had as were desserts as large as my head and probably about as tasty as chocolate flavored cardboard, but sadly, no cake. I was very disappointed, I must say, and after walking all over downtown Spokane, even as small as it is, my feet were hurting in my dress up shoes so we called it a night and went home for more Bellinis.

This lack of cake has only confirmed Matt and my dislike of this so-called city and we are counting down the days until we can make our escape back to a cake-filled land far far from here, hopefully in a Easternly direction. I did bake myself a big gooey chocolate cake the next day, but even as delicious as it was, I still would have enjoyed some cake on my birthday.

It is a good thing I like to bake, or it truly would have been a sad birthday. It does look yummy though, doesn't it?

3 comments:

Kate C. said...

A town without cake and without Veronica Mars! Good god.

Kym said...

I know. Can you believe it. At least as far as I can tell the Veronica Mars situation will be resolved this year by the new CW, which we should get, provided that that local affiliate doesn't go under as did the UPN last year. As for the cake situation, alas, I hold out no hope. It is a truly desparate situation.

jody said...

The cake looks totally yummy.