Saturday, February 17, 2007

Melting ICE


I am enrolled in the Immigration and Human Rights Clinic and it is by far the best thing I have done in law school. Immigration courts allow student attorneys to represent clients. I have several clients, all of them are in deportation proceedings.

One of my clients was recently granted asylum status. The hearing was in November and the judge finally ruled this past week. The client is an amazing woman from Guatemala who will now be able to remain in the United States and hopefully bring her children to the United States soon.

I currently have a client that is mandatorily detained in the largest immigration detention center in the United States. It is a difficult case made that much harder by the horrible conditions of the detention center. My partner and I visit our client once a week, every time we leave and our client returns to her cell, it is clear how unjust the entire system is.

My office mate and I have started a score board in our office. So far we are undefeated. Immigration and Customs Enforcement Beware: the St Mary's Clinic is coming for you.

1 comment:

Kate C. said...

Go Molly Go! I told Kym when I took the job at Bronx Community College I felt like I was fulfilling the family destiny of helping immigrants. Gigi would be proud!