Saturday, February 24, 2007

Proud Alumna

My alma matar does a lot of things that annoy me. Such as the time the development department sent an e-mail saying everyone could help the environment by giving money now, saving the trees it would need to use to make the paper to send us further requests for money. However, I was happy to read in the New York Times that the history department at Middlebury has banned the use of Wikepedia as a source. What I don't understand is why this story is so interesting that it is the number one e-mailed story in the paper, or, for that matter, why it is newsworthy enough to even be in the New York Times. I have never let students use Wikepedia as a source for a college level research paper. Accuracy is not the only issue--I think an almost $200,000 education should include learning to use the library. What a shocking idea!

No comments: