Monday, October 10, 2005

Fashion mixing with Politics

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this but I have been seeing a lot of anti-bush shirts being worn.That would lead me to believe that not very many people like Bush, but then why are his ratings still okay. At my school I think it's almost cool to wear a shirt that say," Friends Don't Let Friends Vote Republic " or a anti Bush pin or something else.It's almost like no one really cares about what the shirt actually means, but instead just wear the shirt for fashion reasons alone. I don't know about you, but I think that it defeats the purpose of the shirt if you are just wearing it bacause it will make you look cool.

3 comments:

Kate C. said...

I agree. People in New York, however, are going to be suprised that its cool in Denver to wear anti-Bush clothing. Everyone here tends to think all people between New York and California are Republicans.

Molly said...

As always Jane is right on point with all things relevant. I heard a story on NPR yesterday about how sad/weird it was that all these people were buying Che Guevara shirts when he fought against capitalism. The report was saying basically just by buying the shirt you are contradicting most of what he stood for.

I don't know if I would go that far but it does drive me crazy and not just political shirts. I hate when I see people wearing Clash shirts or The Who, I always want to challenge them to name a song by the band they are wearing. Most often people don't even know anything about Che or the Who.

Kym said...

No one at my middle school wears anti-Bush gear but Vote for Pedro shirts abound.

Being that its the Valley, anti-Bush wear will probably be popular in another 5 years or so.

Much like the instant sports fans that develop after every World Series, Super Bowl, and the like, weird political fashion does seem to sneak in, and as Jane says, lessen both the impact of the statement and the cause.