Friday, October 14, 2005

Report on the Colbert Report


Last night, through the generosity of my wonderful former student worker Eileen, Neilson and I were able to attend a test taping of the Colbert Report. Honestly, the experience did not get off to an auspicious start. Despite having confirmed reservations, we had to get in line at 6:15 to get tickets at 7 for a show that was supposed to start at 8, but actually started more like 8:30. For about 30 minutes after we got our seats in the studio, the audience was subjected to music played at an ear-shattering level. I thought I was just getting old, but then I realized the hipster college students next to me were also complaining about the music. Someone eventually asked the stage manager to turn it down, which he quickly did, and we were all a lot happier. Finally Steve Colbert came out. He seemed a little nervous at first, stumbling over lines in the opening segment. But he soon found his rhythm, discussing the Minnesota Vikings sex-boat scandal at length and conducing a hysterical interview with Buzz Bissinger, the author of the great book Friday Night Lights. And there was a very funny final segment, where Colbert commemorated the fact that Peter Mayhew, the actor who played Chewbacca, has recently become an American citizen by ceremoniously placing an action figure of the our favorite Wookie on a shelf full of knick-knacks. He concluded by throwing candy out into the audience-I may frame my used Starburst wrappers. I do still fear that the Colbert Report will end up diluting the talent of the Daily Show and neither will end up being as funny, but for now Steve Colbert has my support.

No comments: