Monday, October 03, 2005

T.V. Talk

The fall TV season is at last in full swing. Here is an e-mail exchange in which Molly and I devoted perhaps a little too much time to discussing how things are shaping up.

Molly:
Ok lets be serious for a moment and discuss what is really important. Clearly I don't mean our supreme court or even the tragedy of the gulf coast, I am talking about tv.

My biggest problem at the moment is that I am not sure who to love and who to hate on veronica mars. i love this show, i watched the last two episodes of last season when they replayed them and was immediately hooked. i thought i liked logan but clearly he is a jerk, and what exactly is the history of duncan? since the first season isn't out yet I am in need of catch up. I know you told me again and again to watch last season and I didn't listen but I beg you to take pity on me and help me out.

My second problem is that I hate Rory more and more, what they hell she suddenly is so brilliant at community service? I hate hate hate the way she acts at any job, i hated her at the newspaper and now at the community service and at the dumb dance class. what is that weird thing she does with her voice?

The OC had better get good soon, I don't have time to support a show that can't step it up at least a little.

any thoughts?

I'll talk to you soon. I can't wait to see you at the marathon.

molly


Kate:

Hi,

Lets see. First things first. And first is of course Veronica Mars.

1) Logan is tricky. He seemed like a complete ass at the beginning of last season, then, miraculously they made me root for the Veronica/Logan relationship. Now of course he seems like a jerk again. I kind of like it that he is neither black or white, but it is a little confusing. I think he really cares about Veronica, but just can't get rid of his creepy tendencies so quickly. Having your father beat you and your mother commit suicide could, I suppose, have some long-term consequences on your behavior. Also, although they didn't really get into this, it seems like the fact that Logan's father tried to kill Veronica would put a strain on the relationship.

2) Duncan. Last year, he always seemed mopey and kind of boring, so it was hard to see why Veronica had cared so much about him. But now we know he was dealing with a lot of stuff--he thought the love of his life was his half sister, he thought he had killed his actual sister, and he was drugged up to treat his depression as well as dealing with the fact that he epileptic. With some of that weight gone he seems to be much happier and more charming this year.

Of course there is also Weevil, another kind of shady but charming character.
Also, I just read on Watch with Kristen that Joss Whedon is going to have a cameo on Veronica.

Gilmore Girls.
Yes, I hate Rory. Hate. She just seems more and more like a twit. That post-coital scene was really gross.

OC
Yes, they really need to turn it around. This week was really the worst. At this point, I could care less about any of the characters.

MY DVR cut off the second half of Alias, but I read about the events on TWoP. Did you watch? The most interesting part was seeing the attempts to disguise Jennifer Garner's stomach.

Have you watched Reunion or Prison Break?

Kate

Molly:

Thanks for the info on Veronica Mars, I sort of love Logan and was hoping that I wasn't crazy, clearly that is what they want to sort of make you feel a little guilty about liking him so much. I am totally hooked.

I still like Logan on Gilmore Girls, I just can't help myself, I wish he would dump Rory and move on maybe they will just write her out of the show and make it about Lorelie and Luke and the actual Yale kids, that would be fun.

I have started to watch Reunion, Kym filled me in on the first episode and we watched the second together, I am really intrigued but it seems really badly written and the acting certainly leaves something to be desired but it is a good concept so they have me for at least awhile longer. I particularly loved the crazy black ex-con character that entire thing was so weird.

I haven't been watching Alias consistently the past seasons but I heard all about the first episode. All I can say is Jennifer Garner is a total bitch for getting Michael Vartan kicked off the show, at least that is what I heard. Get a life lady and go hang out with your scruffy Boston boy and get your weird duck lips off of TV, lets all hope the baby has Ben's facial features or it will be a long life of Duck Lips Affleck.

I finally saw Grey's Anatomy, by far my favorite part was when the Burke asked who Dr. McDreamy was and Dr. Bailey said that she was. Seriously Burke is so clueless. Since the first 6 episodes of this season were suppose to be on last season the scripts got leaked a while ago so I basically knew what was going to happen, but I am glad my favorite 80s star is back.

My most pathetic guilty pleasure has got to be So You Think You Can Dance. I just love it, of course I also loved Dancing With the Stars. Seriously I am sucker for sequins and bad makeup.

I also loved the funeral scene in Desperate Housewives Marcia Cross is so amazing I can't handle it. When is she going to rip off the wig to reveal her scar? I think the situation with the new family is hard to swallow, they may be going too far for prime time it seems a little HBO or FX.

I'll talk to you soon.

molly

I haven't answered Molly yet, but let me just say I am in complete agreement with most of her opinions. Marcia Cross got robbed at the Emmys, its great to see Patrick Dempsey back, Jennifer Garner gets weirder looking by the day, and the Logan of Gilmore Girls, kind of like the Logan of Veronica Mars, is strangely appealing, despite being rich and spoiled. Also Reunion is really bad but oddly watchable. Its kind of like cheap jelly beans--they're gross, but I look forward to them every Easter.

1 comment:

jody said...

I think I need to watch these shows. I'm just catching up on the first season of "Lost", thanks to Eric's generous loan of his dvd.