Tuesday, November 15, 2005

My Best Concert Ever














I love music, I mean really love music. Not in the let me listen to the radio as I drive kind of love, but in the let me spend all my money and lots of spare time finding, listening, and thinking about music.

As a result I have been to a lot of concerts and I can say without a doubt that the best show I have ever been to is the Blind Boys of Alabama concert in 2002 in the Gospel Tent at Jazzfest. I have seen them three times since and they are always amazing, but by far that show was spectacular. I credit it to their amazing abilities and also to the pure energy that is always present in the Gospel Tent at Jazzfest. As Kate mentioned, the lead singer has a tendency to jump off the stage and walk around. In case anyone was uncertain, they really are blind so you can imagine what happens when they enter the audience without warning. The show ran over about 25 mins, that may not seem like a long time but shows DO NOT go over at Jazzfest, they run a pretty tight ship. The fact that the Blind Boys were allowed to continue for 25 extra minutes is amazing. When I saw Fats Domino they made him leave the stage after he went over by 10 mins.

One of my coolest possessions is an album cover autographed by all the Blind Boys that one of my friends, John, got for me. I was in Idaho at the time and missed one of their shows in Austin and Johh got me the new album and autograph to send me a little "soul" to cheer me up. It was one of the highlights of my life in Idaho.

The pictures are from a show at Jazzfest in 2004. All of their albums are great including the one they recorded with Ben Harper. Go out and get yourself a little soul, it will help I promise.

By the way I agree about Catpower, great name, not so great talent.

No comments: