Sunday, November 27, 2005

A Neck Family Thanksgiving


For the first time everyone came to my house for Thanksgiving. I would like to say that it was my amazing cooking skills or my massive house that drew the Neck clan to San Antonio but it was my Mother's kindness coupled with my first semester of law school that brought them here. My Mom didn't want me to have to lug all 5o pounds of books and clothes (just ask Eric and Kate how I pack) and waste precious stuyding time driving the five hours home.

The Necks have finally succumbed to the Culkin insanity and made excessive exercise a part of the holiday. Mom, Dad, Mimi and Bob went on a five hour bike ride around the Spanish Missions on Wednesday and took a shorter ride on Thanksgiving that took them to O'Henry's house and the Alamo.

As usual the amazing meal had nothing to do with me and everything to do with Mom, Mimi, Kym and of course Bob and Dad handled the carving.


The dogs were definetly the stars fo the weekend. Nola and Oso became great friends. Nola spent the entire weekend bugging Oso and chasing after him. Here is a rare moment of them taking a nap togher. Nola has been sleeping ever since Oso left on Saturday morning.

On Friday we went to a traveling exhibit from the Vatican. I thought it was going to be a sampling of the amazing art that the Vatican owns. Instead it was an odd collection of bejweled tiaras, gold chalices and even a piece of one of the Pope's skull. That night we went to a lighted boat parade on the river that was suppose to be spectacular. The best way to describe it is to compare it to the Oswego 4th of July parade. If you have never been lucky enough to attend this amazing display of patriotism just imagine a 3 hour parade with 5 floats, 20 fire trucks, and a few cop cars. The boat parade did have a float with a cop band on it and there was a great conversation questioning whether they were real cops or just strippers dressed as cops and performing in a Christmas parade, (did I mention that it was a long parade)

I am now buckled down studying for finals for the next 2 and a half weeks, but at least I have a fridge full of left overs and enogh beer and wine to get me through.

2 comments:

Kate C. said...

It sounds like a great time, although I'm disappointed there was no Turduken. Is it possible the Neck branch out-family-death-marched the Denver Culkins? We are going to have to make up for it at Christmas. Perhaps a day of skiing in sub-zero weather.

jody said...

I saw that Vatican exhibit in San Diego two years ago- kind of an addendum to ComicCon. My friend who is a curator at the museum had refused to go because she considered it Vatican propaganda. By the way, the sponsor is Clear Channel.