Thursday, November 10, 2005

No Shame in 8002


One of my classmates actually told me that there was no shame in coming in 8002 among the women in the marathon, I think that he was trying to console me, but I have to agree, there is no shame in 8002! Next Year I will be 8000.

My personal highlights of the race were:

A group of runners from the Netherlands that couldn't get over a great sign that said "Your Feet are like Feathers". They kept repeating it for about a mile.
A ton of Hasidic Jews running across the course and trying not to hit anyone.

Golddigger! Twice along the course

There is a small park in Brooklyn that everyone cut across the corner of to avoid a right angle turn and a spectator yelled "Way to cut corners" and a runner shouted back "Fuck You" I am a firm beliver that the crowds should never boo or criticize runners, it was a classic moment though.

The end of the Queensboro bridge and the runner beside me yelling "Who's ready for Manhatten? Who's ready for Manhatten? Who's ready for Manhatten?"

Meet the Press being played at the beginning of the race.

My great family and all the cameras. It was a great race and I had so much fun in New York. It was also my first time for my name to be in the New York Times. I plan on many more chances, hopefully they will come in the form of op eds or political pieces. In my defense my suitcase only weighed 49 pounds!

Here is Nola with my medal. He is sad he couldn't be there, but hopes to meet everyone soon.


1 comment:

Kate C. said...

I can see the pride in Nola's eyes as he looks at your medal.