Monday, April 10, 2006

April 10th, Day of Action for Immigrant Rights

So I know I've been gone from the blog for forever and a day but having recently gotten my life back on a schedule that allows for graduate work, and therefore blogging, I thought it was time to check back in.

As most of you probably know, tomorrow is a Day of Action for Immigrant Rights and rallies, protests, and walk-outs have been scheduled across the country. Molly will be marching in San Antonio and Matt has cancelled classes for the day and we are driving the 5 hours to Seattle round-trip so that we can participate in the rally there. Nothing is happening closer to Spokane, more is the pity, but we decided, scary as the protests in Seattle often are, we have to participate. I have a thing about crowds; never really liked them unless they were all facing the same direction and fairly stationary, think baseball game, but for this issue I am willing to face my fears. Afterwards I'll try to find a group more local to the area but for now I am Seattle bound. I just can't face the thought that 10 or 20 or 30 years from now I'll be one of those people saying that back in the day I watched the Civil Rights Movement (in this case the Immigrant Rights Movement) on television and thought it was a good idea.

If you are looking for a protest or rally closer to your home, check http://www.cccaction.org/cccaction/april10_index.html They have a list of events around the country and more information on the issue.

1 comment:

jody said...

Glad you reminded me, now I am heading over for City Hall.