Monday, April 10, 2006

Talk Number 3

Yesterday, Jody, Kathy and I presented our gallery talk at P.S. 122 for "Fauns and Shackles." It went well and we had a standing room only crowd, plus an Italian greyhound in the audience. It was my third talk/presentation in 10 days, and I'm feeling a litte talked out for the moment. Neilson and Calvin were snapping away, so hopefully there will be pictures later. For now, I will leave with a quote I used in my talk.

"Twice have I visited the Academy of Design and there have I sat in silent, reverential awe, with eyes intent upon the marble face of Harriet Hosmer's Beatrice Cenci. I have no power to express my hope, my joy, my renewed faith in womanhood. In the accomplishment of that grand work of the sculptor's chisel, making that cold marble breathe and pulsate, Harriet Hosmer has done more to ennoble and elevate woman than she possibly could have done by mere words, it matters not how Godlike; though I would not ignore true words, for it is these which rouse to action the latent powers of the Harriet Hosmers..." Susan B. Anthony, 1862.

No comments: