Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Jonathan Lethem on Gehry's Brooklyn Redevelopment Plan

I love Jonathan Lethem's writing. I came to it late (kind of a running theme with me), but I make up for my lateness with an excess of enthusiasm. "Motherless Brooklyn", fabuous book! "Fortress of Solitude", other fabulous book! He is the prose poet of loss and memory- loss in Brooklyn (specifically that area around the Gowanus Canal). I know Molly is a big big fan too, and I'm sure we're not the only family members who adore him.

Here is a link to an open letter from Lethem to Frank Gehry about the planned stadium project in Brooklyn. He makes a lot of the points I heard from Kym years ago, before the plan was developed. I must admit, I liked the idea of the Nets playing basketball a short subway ride away, how wrong I was. Or maybe they should just get rid of those mammoth towers.

No comments: