Monday, June 12, 2006

A Little MoCCA

I spent much of the weekend at MoCCA Art Festival. PW Comics Week will have the big round up later this week, but I wanted to mention a few things I really enjoyed.




Hey 4 Eyes is a zine about eyeglasses. It has comics, interviews with glasses wearers, historical information and hints for buying vintage frames, among other things. I bought volume 1 the first day of the convention and liked it so much that I bought volume 2 the next day. The creator Robyn Chapman was there and she was surrounded by women wearing glasses who were thrilled with the existence of this publication.




The couple here is Tyler Page and Cori Doerrfeld. Tyler was giving out copies of the first two volumes of Never Better, a comic about two women who are freshmen roommates in college. There are six volumes on the web. I'm not sure how giving out work for free is going to help pay for the wedding, but I loved the comic. While it covers well-known territory, he brings the characters to life in a vivid way and makes them all very complex, so you are never quite sure whose side to be on. Page, moreover, really captures the experience of living away from home the first time and being thrown into a small living space with a complete stranger.






People at the convention all kept commenting on how much Jody and I look alike. The evidence is undeniable.

2 comments:

jody said...

MOCCA was fabulous! And I loved hearing how much Kate and I look alike.

Molly said...

I don't wear glasses, I am the only one in my immediate family even my cat is crossed eyed, but I have always envied Kate, Jody, and Kym's cool frames.

Kate you are lucky, me wish has often been to look just like Jody.