Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Dark Knight and Others (with powers)

Calvin and I finally saw the Dark Knight last night. To be honest, I was a little bit disappointed, the hype on this movie has been so huge, I'm not sure it lived up to it for me. Heath Ledger is amazing- truly frightening, and funny too. I particularly enjoyed him in nurse drag with a cap and orange wig. But the rest of the movie- it was good, but was it that good? Maggie Gyllenhaal was better than Katie Holmes, but other than that, I think most of the performances were better in Batman Begins. I'm wondering if I should see all super-hero movies on opening night so I haven't read the raves (if there are raves) yet.

Speaking of super-hero movies, we also saw Hancock a couple of weeks ago. I found this movie, which got really terrible reviews, kind of charming. It did become unbearably corny towards the end, but until that time it was pretty good. It is unusual to see Will Smith as a surly drunk and I enjoyed that.

I know Matt and Janelle and Bets and John liked Hellboy 2, which sadly I still haven't seen. I hope to go this week.

1 comment:

Kate C. said...

I wasn't a huge fan of Dark Knight either. I liked the first half, but then it just seemed to go on and on. There were about 15 times I thought it was over. Its like they decided to squeeze an entire movie into the last 30 minutes. I kind of what to see Hancock--it got good reviews in the NY Times and New Yorker, I think.