Sunday, December 04, 2005

Adjustments


Anders, at home, the first morning of daycare.

Thursday, I returned to work after the most wonderful 15 weeks of my life; those weeks being the first 15 weeks of my son Anders life. Becoming a mother has eclipsed all the other accompishments in my life and really has overshadowed my desire to do much else but be with him. In that context, imagine my pain at bundling up my little boy and carrying him off to stay with 3 women at daycare, who (although I know they take wonderful care of Anders) are not me.

Seeing my face Thursday morning, Andy called in to work and told them he would be late. Then he drove both of us to daycare, settled Anders into his new digs, and drove me to work. As expected the day was filled with emotional highs and lows. I loved showing off pictures of Anders to my co-workers but panicked at the thought of staying away from him all day. The tears were gone mid-morning, by noon I had cleared the stacks of mail from my desk, my mid-afternoon I had seen a few interesting cases and gone to a lecture, and by late afternoon the tears had returned when I suddenly feared that Anders would have forgotten who I was.

When I walked in the door at home, Anders was sleeping in Andy's mom's arms. She gave him to me. Being the good little boy that he is, Anders promptly woke and gave me a huge grin and giggle. Dusty (Andy's mom) swore he hadn't smiled that big all afternoon. I don't know if she was lying or telling the truth but I choose to believe the latter. I also am learning that he probably won't forget me in his 8 hours at daycare.

The adjustment to being a working mom is certainly going to take some time but I am hoping we can make it.

Here is some proof that we at least made it through the first two days.



2 comments:

Molly said...

Anders certainly took to daycare better then Kym and I. Just ask my poor mother if you want proof of how much Kym and I loved it.

I am always amazed that Capers, my cat, remembers me. He even knew me when I left him at my parents for a year. Now Capers is smart but something tells me that Anders is smarter so I don't think there are any worries of him forgetting, although he is Frank's grandson.

Kate C. said...

Yes, Anders is much too smart to forget you in day. And he is little trooper and will adapt to his new situation. I heard recently that kids who go to daycare do better in elementary school as well. He is a sweet baby to smile at you when you needed it. Also, why is it that Anders looks like a Mengshol with his serious face and a Culkin when he is laughing.