Thursday, December 15, 2005

Christmas Tree, O Christmas Tree

New York is at its best in the weeks leading up to Christmas. Lights twinkle throughout the streets, people bustle around with their arms full of gifts, the champange flows, and, best of all, there are trees everywhere. New York, wonderful as it is, often does not smell that great, but in December the scent of pine infuses the air. On my way to work, I walk through a giant Christmas tree lot which is like getting a brief hike through the forest each morning.




I also love the tree in City Hall Park, across the street from my office, which is actually a bunch of trees bound together in the fountain. Its decorated with ornaments made by children in the New York City public schools.



It looks especially great night and always cheers me up when I am depressed about the fact that it is pitch black at 5 P.M.


As for the whole Christmas Tree/Holiday Tree controversy, I have to say the term holiday tree always strikes me a little ridiculous. Instead of a war against Christmas, it actually seems to be a way to foist Christian traditions on non-Christians. On the other hand, Christians, I believe, stole the whole tree idea from the pagans, as a way to co-opt solstice celebrations and covert the masses. So perhaps solstice tree should be the official term.

1 comment:

jody said...

I love the christmas trees everywhere in New York this time of year, disguising that peculiar odor that is so distinctively NYC.

I have really enjoyed the constant discussion of the Christmas/Holiday brouhaha on both the Daily Show and the Colbert Report. I can't believe we get reruns until 2006, what a disappointment. Don't they know we need them most during this time of year?