Thursday, September 29, 2005

Unreasonable Women

I can basically sum up all of the first year of law school with the term reasonable. If you are ever in doubt in class simply work the work reasonable into your answer and you probably will get at least a portion of the answer correct. Whether we are talking about intentional infliction of emotional distress, contract offers, or gifts the theory of the reasonable man will always come up. I was even beginning to think that maybe being that reasonable person was a good thing. Then I got a little bit of reality and remembered that I am going to law school to be so unreasonable that I turn the world upside down.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
-George Bernard Shaw

Which brings me to my driveway moment of the day. I rarely get to here The Diane Rehm show but I was lucky enough to hear a little today. Her guest was Diane Wilson who wrote the book An Unreasonable Woman A True Story of Shrimpers, Politicos, Polluters, and the Fight for Seadrift, Texas. In short she is a shrimper from the Gulf Coast of Texas who became an enviromentalist and took on some of the largest petro chemical plants in the world. Her story was interesting and she is quite a character. She was suppose to be on the show last week but Rita prevented her from getting to the studio. Here is a link to her book
http://www.chelseagreen.com/2005/items/unreasonablewoman and a link to the show
http://www.wamu.org/programs/dr/05/09/28.php

On a side note Seadrift was recently made famous by the true love of my life, Jim Cantori, Hurricane weatherman extrodinare.

1 comment:

Kate C. said...

One of my favorite bumpersticker/t-shirt phrases is "Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History." It is a quote from the historian Laurel Thatcher Ulrich, who wrote the excellent book A Midwife's Tale. It is actually a reference to the fact that one way to trace women is through court records, but it has that nice, punchy feel.