Thursday, November 08, 2007

Code Monkey Like You

Molly was having a blue day a few weeks ago and I had the perfect fix for her, Code Monkey. Then I made one of my managers at work listen to it too and she then played it for her 3 yr old son, who apparently couldn't get enough Coulton and just kept dancing away to his songs all night. So check out Jonathan Coulton's website for yourself. He is a Brooklyn musician, singer-songwriter, and internet superstar and he recently undertook the challenge of writing and podcasting a song a week for a year. Not surprisingly, once you listen to him, he is good friends with John Hodgman. (They went to Yale together - it makes so much sense, even if I never met anyone half as fun during all those weekend trips out to CT to visit Irene.) You can see them on YouTube touring together to promote The Areas of My Expertise. I first heard Coulton on a knitting podcast called Cast On about a year ago. Who knew podcasts about knitting would become my new favorite source for music, particularly irony music?

Anyway, you should check him out. You can listen to all his music for free, and download quite a bit of it gratis. I highly recommend Skullcrusher Mountain and Code Monkey. Code Monkey is sure to draw you out of your funk. But explore other songs as well. His version of Baby Got Back is worth a listen and Kate, as a history geek, you should listen to his song about the presidents. Jody, you should look at the section of his website called You. Lots of people have sent in animated videos of his songs and he posts them there.

In summation, Jonathan Coulton, You Is Awesome!

3 comments:

jody said...

I will definitely check it out.

By the way, I saw John Hodgman- in person! Not surprisingly, it was at the Apple Store. My Mac doesn't want to see my video camera in Final Cut Pro (sorry about the geekspeak) so I went to the Apple store to see if they could fix it (no). Guess who was making a special guest appearance- no not John Hodgman but- Stephen Colbert!!!!

After his talk was over and I was continuing to get condescended upon by the "geniuses", John Hodgman walked down the steps! By this time it was almost 11PM, no one was there but "geniuses" me and Calvin, and John Hodgman and his friend.

Molly said...

Code Monkey is awesome! I use it often to cheer me up. I dance around my house and scare Capers and Nola.

Kate C. said...

Thanks Kym, these songs are great. So far some of my favorites are the Presidents, Ikea, Tom Cruise Crazy and the Sir Mix A Lot cover.