Monday, November 05, 2007

I am just as miserable at pool as ever

I went to a work gathering tonight to say farewell to employees who have opted for non-bookstore employ in recent months. It was out of the house and therefore interesting. It helps that my fellow employees at the bookstore are interesting folk. Afterward a small group of us headed out in search of one more drink, it was early yet, but as I had feared, most of the downtown bars remained closed on a Sunday evening. Eventually we found an open bar with an Internet jukebox and some pool tables. I got into an argument about teaching and the Midwest and then played an embarrassingly bad few games of pool. Every few years I play a game just to remind myself that games involving the shooting of small balls into targets and me don't mix. I was awarded most improved player of the night. I hate that award. I won it once in high school. It is like getting a pat on the head for learning how not to trip over your own feet when everyone else knows how to ball-room dance. Oh well. It was a fun night anyway, even if I was the oldest person there at the end of the night.

By the way--this post counts as a Sunday post because it isn't midnight here in the far west, even if we have set the post time as EST.

1 comment:

jody said...

I am really terrible at pool too. I am even bad at flash online game versions of pool. I would never even receive the most improved player award, since I never get any better.