Monday, November 12, 2007

TV

The creator of Heroes recently gave an interview with Entertainment Weekly in which he apologized for the beginning of the season. I don't necessarily agree with this statement, which I find a little condescending: "We assumed the audience wanted season 1 — a buildup of intrigue about these characters and the discovery of their powers. We taught [them] to expect a certain kind of storytelling. They wanted adrenaline. We made a mistake." Unless you are creating The Wire or the Sopranos, I don't think you, Mr. Show Creator, are "teaching" me anything about storytelling. But many of his other points are quite interesting, and, in my opinion, on the mark.

I saw my friend married to the striking writer over the weekend, and he said one theory is that the producers wanted the strike, as it allows them to void a lot of expensive development deals they felt were going no where. Also, they were very disapointed with the TV season and the strike gives them a blank slate. I don't know if it is true, but I always enjoy a conspiracy story. I do think the Republicans must be thrilled that Jon Stewart and Steven Colbert are off the air.

What shows will you miss the most? My list includes Lost, Dirty, Sexy Money, all the Law and Orders (Yes, sadly, even Criminal Intent), How I Met Your Mother, and Brothers and Sisters.

4 comments:

Kym said...

I will miss Pushing Daisies, The Daily Show, Dirty Sexy Money,and oh so many others but those are at the top. I will also miss Heroes. I know everyone is hating it this season, but I still like it and the bad Irish accents are wonderful to mock.

Molly said...

I read the Heroes interview and all I thought was why would we want a repeat of season 1? I know it was good but shouldn't they try for something new. I enjoyed last night except for the weird brother and sister with the dumb eyes. So boring and also what a dumb power.

I am going to miss Dirty Sexy Money, The Daily Show, Colbert, Pushing Daisies, House, The Office (they only have 1 show left).

Kate C. said...

I hate that brother and sister storyline. And, while I can't put my finger on why exactly, it seems a little racist that the Hispanic characters have this deadly/bleeding eye power. Like, oh, those Domicincans, just can't control their emotions. I don't know--maybe I'm wrong. But I have liked the last two episodes more that the rest of the season.

jody said...

I am glad to see that everyone else hates this storyline as much as I do. What is that power- your eyes bleed, everyone else eyes bleed- then they die and your eyes clear up? I love the bleeding Mexican statues as much as anyone, or maybe more than anyone- but this is really stupid.