Friday, November 02, 2007

I felt like an undergrad again

So I said I would try to post every day during the month of November and then I missed Nov. 1, but I can explain myself, and then post twice today (once here and once on Kym's Kitchen) to try to make up for it. Yesterday was the deadline for a major anthro grant and I have been burning the 2 am oil for it this week. I don't drink coffee all that often anymore but I needed a large cup to get through my day by Wednesday and the smell and taste of it combined with the fatigue brought on by academic work had my undergrad days rushing back to me. By yesterday morning I could remember it all clearly, as it took everything in me not to keel over on my morning shift at the bookstore after staying up to the wee hours of the morning writing for the 2nd, or was it 3rd, night in a row. Rushing home after work to put the final touches on the grant, check in with my advisor, and rush off to Kinkos only solidified the flash-back experience. Hard to believe I still look back fondly on those days, but it is too true. On a side-note, I started getting mail about my 10 year college reunion this week. I am kind of freaked out. It doesn't feel like 10 years.

But back to yesterday's grant. I had most of it done but somehow the last minute touches were taking forever. It didn't help that the grant had to be formatted into this ridiculous word application that did not allow for cutting and pasting or spell check. It was truly a time-warp experience. I am sure that I missed some typos but I don't care. The grant had to be submitted on-line by midnight EST yesterday, 9 pm here, but I also had to send in 5 hard-copies, one paper-clipped and 4 stapled in the upper left-hand corner, secured in a tightly bound package and post-marked by yesterday. Apparently the funding agency is under the impression that post-offices, or fed-ex stops, stay open until midnight. Oh well. I managed to upload the documents and mail them out with a few hours to spare but I did come home and collapse on the sofa with no energy whatsoever and even less desire to open my laptop back up. But I am feeling refreshed again after a decent night's sleep so I am once again ready to take on the blogging challenge.

2 comments:

jody said...

What is it with the weird formatting issues with these funding agencies? We just had to submit a final report on our grant and had to deal with some of this stuff. They all need new interface designers.

Kym said...

They need interface designers period. They still work like forms you would use a typewriter to fill out, only on your computer.